After our summer break, the Dane Dems are back in August with two great events.
First, on Wednesday August 12 at 7pm, at the Concourse Hotel in downtown Madison, please join us for the August Membership meeting of the Democratic Party of Dane County. Our guest this month is Scot Ross of One Wisconsin Now.
Then, on Sunday, August 23rd, please join us for the Dane Dems Summer Picnic. It will run from Noon until 2pm, at Warner Park on Madison's north side. We'll have brats and burgers (both meat and veggie) and beverages. We hope to see you there!
Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, candidate for the Democratic Party's nomination for President, will be in Madison on Wednesday to hold a rally at the Dane County Veterans Memorial Coliseum (aka Alliant Energy Center - 1919 Alliant Energy Center Drive in Madison). It will begin at 7PM with doors opening at 6PM. For more information and to sign up, go to the event page on the Bernie Sanders for President site.
Note: This information to Dane Dems members isn't an endorsement for any campaign for President by the Democratic Party of Dane County. We will provide information for all candidate visits to Dane County during this campaign season.
I want to thank everybody for their patience as we sorted out a few membership issues for potential delegates before releasing our current version of the Dane Dems DPW Delegation list. To recap, registration deadline was May 15th. May 22nd was the deadline to update your memberships to stay eligible as a delegate or alternate.
I am happy to report that our original delegation list with 43 alternates has been reduced to four on account of people cancelling or becoming ineligible by not renewing their memberships. Below the flip is our delegation list...
Please join us for the April meeting of the Democratic Party of Dane County. Our guest this month with be Assistant Leader of the Assembly Democrats, Katrina Shankland!
This is the day after the election, so we'll undoubtably have a number of victories to celebrate, and we'll also have some updates from elected officials from the area.
The April meeting is Wednesday, April 8th at 7:00pm at the Concourse Hotel. You can RSVP at our Facebook Event for the meeting.
Looking ahead, our May meeting is Wednesday, May 13th, also at 7:00pm at the Concourse. The May meeting will feature a Candidate Forum for the people running to be the next State Chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin.
For the Spring 2015 elections on April 7th, the Democratic Party of Dane County has made endorsements in 34 different races:
- Madison District 1: Barbara McKinney
- Madison District 2: Ledell Zellers
- Madison District 3: Amanda Hall
- Madison District 4: Mike Verveer
- Madison District 5: Shiva Bidar-Sielaff
- Madison District 6: Marsha Rummel
- Madison District 7: Steve King
- Madison District 8: Zach Wood
- Madison District 10: Maurice Cheeks
- Madison District 11: Chris Schmidt
- Madison District 12: Larry Palm
- Madison District 13: Both Sarah Eskrich and Zach Madden
- Madison District 14: Both Sheri Carter and John Strasser
- Madison District 16: Denise DeMarb
- Madison District 17: Both Samba Baldeh and Joe Clausius
- Madison District 18: Both Peng Her and Rebecca Kemble
- Madison School Board Seat 1: Anna Moffit
- Madison School Board Seat 2: Mary Burke
- Fitchburg Mayor: Steve Arnold
- Fitchburg City Council Seat 2: Michael Childers
- Fitchburg City Council Seat 3: Both Julia Arata-Fratta and Roger Backes
- Fitchburg City Council Seat 4: Patrick Stern
- Fitchburg City Council Seat 6: Dan Carpenter
- Fitchburg City Council Seat 7: Jake Johnson
- Fitchburg City Council Seat 8: Tony Hartmann
- Verona City Council District 1: Liz Doyle
- Verona City Council District 2: Dale Yurs
- Verona City Council District 3: Heather Reekie
- Verona City Council District 4: Luke Diaz
- Sun Prairie District 2: Bill Connors
- Sun Prairie District 2, (1 year term, filling a vacant seat - not the seat Connors is seeking): Diane McGinnis
- Sun Prairie City Council District 3: Mike Jacobs
- Sun Prairie City Council District 4: Al Guyant
- Stoughton City Council District 2: Mike Engelberger
- Stoughton School Board: Allison Sorg
Note - this month's meeting is a week earlier than usual!
Please join the Democratic Party of Dane County for our March meeting on Wednesday, March 4th, 7pm, at the Madison Concourse Hotel. This month, we'll be hosting a Mayoral Forum with Paul Soglin and Scott Resnick.
The moderators for the forum are Madison Alder Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, former Chief of Police of the Madison Police Department Noble Wray, and television and radio journalist Deana Wright.
The Forum is open to the public, so please feel free to invite your friends. There will also be a members-only straw poll.
We will also be wrapping up our endorsements for the spring elections.
We have a Facebook event for the meeting, where you can RSVP and share with your friends.
The February meeting of the Democratic Party of Dane County will be on Wednesday, February 11th at 7pm at the Concourse Hotel in Downtown Madison. Our guests in February are Shelia Stubbs, Dane County Supervisor (D23- South Madison) and Isadore Knox, Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, along with others from Dane County who will present on Dane County's efforts to address racial inequities. You can RSVP and invite your friends at our Facebook event for the meeting.
The slides presented by Angela Russell of Madison & Dane County Public Health are available here.
At both meetings, we will also continue with our spring elections endorsement process.
Please join the Dane Dems for our first meeting of 2015. Our guest this month will be the new leader of the Senate Democrats, Senator Jennifer Shilling.
The meeting is Wednesday, January 14th at 7:00pm, at the Madison Concourse Hotel. You can RSVP and invite your friends at our Facebook Event for the meeting.
We will also be considering a change to the Dane Dems Bylaws. This will be the second reading, the changes were adopted at the November meeting. You can read the proposed changes and background information here, and you can read the current bylaws here.
Finally, we'll start the 2015 Endorsement Process. January will mostly be endorsements of candidates that are unopposed or are candidates we have endorsed in the past and are running against conservatives. Endorsements will continue in February and in March.
In lieu of a December meeting, the Democratic Party of Dane County holds a holiday party. This year's event will be on Sunday, December 7th from 1pm to 4pm at the Cardinal Bar. Please join your Democratic friends for a celebration of the end of the year holidays and to enjoy each other's company.
All contributions are accepted. If you are interested in sponsoring this event, please email Dane Dems Chair Mike Basford at email@example.com
You can RSVP at our Facebook event for the party.
An important note: The Dane Dems monthly meeting is a week later than usual this month. It will be held on Wednesday, November 19th at 7:00pm at the Concourse Hotel in downtown Madison. Our guest this month is Dane County Clerk Scott McDonell.
You can RSVP and invite your friends at our Facebook Event for the meeting
We will also be considering a change to the Dane Dems Bylaws. You can read the proposed changes and background information here, and you can read the current bylaws here.