Today is Election Day. Polls are open from 7AM to 8PM. Go to https://myvote.wi.gov/Voter/VoterSearchScreen.aspx to find out your polling location.
The Democratic Party of Dane County urges you to vote for the following candidates:
Please join us on Wednesday, March 13th for a Dane County Circuit Court Judge Forum, with candidates Judge Rebecca St. John and Attorney Rhonda Lanford.
The meeting starts at 7pm at the Concourse Hotel in downtown Madison.
In addition to the forum, we'll also be voting on the last set of endorsements for the spring elections.
This month's Dane Dems membership meeting will be held this Wednesday, January 16th at 7:00PM at the Concourse Hotel in Downtown Madison.
This month's meeting features a Madison Metropolitan School District candidate forum and members-only straw poll. All seven candidates for School Board have been invited and at least six will be participating. We will also hear from Tony Evers, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and vote on a first round of endorsements for the Spring Election.
I am writing this morning to let you know of some things your county party is doing this week and to let you know about how you can get involved:
1) Your President needs your help. As he continues to try and negotiate a settlement with Congressional Republicans to avoid the "fiscal cliff" at the end of the year, he needs you to use your voice and let Washington know that the Bush tax cuts for the top 2% must go, that we can't raise taxes on the middle class, and that any deal must not include drastic cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and programs that help Americans in need. Here is what you can do:
- Today there will be a vigil at the Capitol at West Mifflin St at 4PM to send this message to Senator Kohl. Go to http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/event.html?event_id=136195&id= for more details
- Go over to http://www.theaction.org and sign up and find out more about what you can do to help.
- Arm yourself with the facts here - http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/taxes/tax-cuts
- Write a letter today to the Wisconsin State Journal (http://host.madison.com/wsj/opinion/mailbag/) and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
(http://www.jsonline.com/news/30627794.html) detailing what's at stake over the next couple weeks.
- And stay tuned. We'll be informing you of events as they come up over the next few weeks so that you can help us win this fight!
2) This coming Spring promises to be big for the Dane Dems. We are looking to run the largest slate ever of candidates for local offices - and we want you to be a part of it. If you ever thought of running for office or helping out candidates as a campaign manager, you have an opportunity to learn at our candidate/campaign manager training this Saturday from 9:00-11:00AM at the DPW offices at 110 King Street in Madison (above Ancora Coffee). Dane County Board Chair and Clerk-Elect Scott McDonell will lead the session for candidates and I will lead the session for campaign managers. For more information and to sign up, go to http://www.facebook.com/events/335547576552445/ .
3) Don't forget our Holiday Party coming up this Sunday from 2:00-4:00PM at the Cardinal Bar (418 E Wilson, Madison). As always, this promises good food, good cheer and great company. We hope you can a part of this. See you then!
Michael Basford, Dane Dems Chair
We began 2012 with a goal to make history this year and we certainly made it last week! I know everybody reading this had a hand in re-electing President Obama and Vice-President Biden and sending Tammy Baldwin and Mark Pocan to Washington. Once again, thank you very much for all that you've done.
You're invited to join us on Wednesday night for our monthly membership meeting. As always, it is at 7PM at the Concourse Hotel in downtown Madison. Our special guest will be Scot Ross of One Wisconsin Now discussing "The Next Fight" and we will break down what the county party did in the Fall election and discuss what we plan on doing in the next year.
Please join us! This proves to be a very interesting meeting and I hope to see you there.
Michael Basford, Dane Dems Chair
p.s. - Mark your calendars! Our holiday party will be Sunday, December 16th from 2-4PM at the Cardinal Bar in Madison.
Good morning. Today is Election Day!
With your help, we can make history today. Here is how you can be a part of it:
1) If you haven't already, vote. Polls are open from 7AM to 8PM. Go to https://myvote.wi.gov/Voter/VoterSearchScreen.aspx to find out your polling location.
As you vote, please keep in mind the Democratic Party candidates for office:
President and Vice President - Barack Obama and Joe Biden
United States Senate - Tammy Baldwin
U.S. House of Representatives - Mark Pocan
Wisconsin State Senate: District 14 - Margarete Worthington, District 16 - Mark Miller, District 26 - Fred Risser
Wisconsin State Assembly: District 37 - Mary Arnold, District 42 - Paula Cooper, District 43 - Andy Jorgensen, District 46 - Gary Hebl, District 47 - Robb Kahl, District 48 - Melissa Sargent, District 76 - Chris Taylor, District 77 - Terese Berceau, District 78 - Brett Hulsey, District 79 - Dianne Hesselbein, District 80 - Sondy Pope-Roberts, District 81 - Fred Clark
Dane County: District Attorney - Ismael Ozanne, County Clerk - Scott McDonell, Treasurer - Adam Gallagher, Register of Deeds - Kristi Chlebowski
2) Take whatever time you have today and get out the vote. You can check in at http://www.barackobama.com/gotv#!/ to find a staging location. All of them are setting up now and will be open until the polls close. Find a location and go there to help contact voters so that they get to the polls. This is important!
3) Once the polls are closed, join us and celebrate! The Democratic Party's Election Night celebration will be at Monona Terrace. Doors open at 8:05PM. Join us as we watch the results and celebrate our victories!
On behalf of the Dane Dems and all the candidates we support, I want to thank you for the hard work, sacrifice and contributions you've made to get us victory today. I couldn't be more grateful.
See you on the streets today and see you at Monona Terrace tonight. Forward, to victory!
Michael Basford, Dane Dems Chair
Remember to come to tonight's Dane Dems meeting at 7PM at the Concourse Hotel (1 West Dayton Street) in Downtown Madison. Tonight's guests will be our next Congressman Mark Pocan and Democratic Party Chair Mike Tate. They will give us updates from the campaign trail and let us know what we can do to help the team WIN on November 6th! We will also be giving out FREE Obama/Biden yard signs while supplies last. We hope to see you tonight!
You can help take back the State Assembly by participating in our “Roadtrips for Victory” - where we go into districts to help out candidates running to represent Dane County in the Assembly. Mark these Saturday events in your calendar and watch this page for any changes. All events are lit drops unless otherwise noted (subject to change):
September 22 – Canvas for Andy Jorgensen, District 43. Meet at the Firefly Coffeehouse (114 N Main Street, Oregon) at Noon.
October 6 – Lit Drop for Fred Clark, District 81. Meet at the Luckenbooth Cafe (1204 Mills Street, Black Earth) at 10:00AM.
October 13 – Lit Drop for Mary Arnold, District 37. Meet at Windsor Breads (4446 Windsor Rd, Windsor) at 10:00AM.
October 20 – CHANGE: Canvas for Andy Jorgensen, District 43. Time and Location TBD
For more information and to sign up, contact Volunteers Vice-Chair Spencer White at email@example.com.
Again, details are subject to change. So keep up-to-date at www.danedems.org.